Mince, onion and carrot pie. Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute, then add the chopped mushrooms, the stout or beef stock and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce. How to Freeze Minced Beef and Onion Pies. Wrap the unbaked pies well in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and then into ziptop bags.
Apart from being a fabulous way to use up any extra carrots, it is really tasty and really low cost! Minced Beef and Onion Pies are a satisfying and comforting meal when served with mushy peas and mashed potato. If you're familiar with British cuisine, you'll know we like our savory meat pies. You can have Mince, onion and carrot pie using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mince, onion and carrot pie
- Prepare of Shortcrust Pastry.
- Prepare 200 g of Plain Flour.
- Prepare 50 g of unsalted butter (diced in small chunks).
- Prepare 1 splash of cold water.
- You need of Salt to add flavour.
- Prepare of Filling.
- You need 500 g of Minced Beef.
- You need 3 of carrots diced or sliced.
- You need 1 of large, diced onion.
- Prepare 1 of beef stock pot.
- Prepare 100 ml of water.
- You need of Beef gravy granules.
- You need of Assorted herbs to season.
- It’s Pinch of salt and pepper.
- You need of Extra.
- Prepare of Egg, beaten with thyme.
Also known as savory mince pies (or savoury mince pies if you're in the UK), different from the popular sweet mince pies that are served at. Added extra onion and carrot and several other ingredients. It is good quality mince and not fatty. Fry the onion, carrots and celery in the oil in a large frying pan until softened.
Mince, onion and carrot pie step by step
- Using your thoroughly washed hands, rub together the butter cubes and plain flour, adding a pinch of salt for taste..
- When flour and butter is consistent and looks like breadcrumbs, add a small amount of water and blend until you have a smooth dough ball. It should have an even consistency and not show any breakage. You can adjust with extra flour or water within reason..
- Wrap dough in cling film and set aside for 15 minutes in a refrigerator..
- Fry your mince and carrots together with onion and the stock pot, making sure to coat all the ingredients. Pepper and herbs can be added to season..
- Once browned, add water and beef gravy granules to make your perfect consistency. I find a thicker gravy makes for a better overall pie. Leave to simmer on a low temperature while you make your pie case..
- Take your dough, split it in two even balls and on a prefloured bench, roll two even circles of pastry..
- Grease your tin using any suitable butter or oil spray and place one of your pastry circles in the tray to line it with the pie base..
- Add your mince gravy to the pie, making sure to fill to the brim of the pie case bit leaving enough dough over the edge for your crust..
- Using a pastry brush, paint the outside dough edge with your beaten egg. Place your pie lid over and cut any excess that you may have..
- Pinch the edges of your pie together and use any excess dough to decorate however you like. Try and reroll the dough to about half the thickness of the pie case. I find this cooks the dough more evenly. Once your decor is in place, paint the whole top with more of your beaten egg..
- Bake in an oven at 180celcius for 20-25 minutes, until the top is a golden brown..
- Can be eaten hot or cold..
Stir in the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and stock. Amazing beef mince with chopped carrots and onions. Firstly brown your mince in a large pan so no pink remains. The amount of mince is optional as are the other ingredients this is just how I like it, I normally cook big batches and I freeze the rest. The meat (beef mince/ground beef) is cooked with aromatics like onion, carrot, celery and garlic with stock, wine or water.