Traditional Welsh Lamb Cawl.
You can have Traditional Welsh Lamb Cawl using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Traditional Welsh Lamb Cawl
- It’s 2 of onions, sliced.
- It’s 2 of celery sticks, sliced.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, peeled and sliced.
- You need 1 of parsnip, peeled and sliced.
- It’s 1 of small swede, peeled and diced.
- You need 3 of potatoes, peeled and diced.
- It’s 2 of leeks, thinly sliced, separate the white and green parts.
- Prepare 750 g of lamb neck fillets, trimmed and cut into chunks.
- You need 2 of oxo beed stock cubes.
- Prepare 1 of Knorr beef stock pot.
- You need of Fresh rosemary, thyme, and parsley.
Traditional Welsh Lamb Cawl step by step
- Heat a large pan and add a drizzle of oil, add the onions, celery, parsnip, and swede. Cook the vegetables, stirring all of the time until golden brown. (this adds to the flavor). Then remove the veggies and set aside..
- If needed add a little more oil to the pan, then quickly brown the lamb chunks all over..
- Add the cooked vegetables back into the pan, add the rosemary and thyme and season, pour over enough boiling water to cover the ingredients, add the oxo cubes and the stock pot. Bring to the boil. Then cover and cook gently, the liquid should hardly bubble for 1½ hours, the lamb should be getting very tender..
- Add the potatoes and the white parts of the leeks and cook for a further 30 mins. Check the potatoes are tender and the seasoning and adjust if necessary..
- Finally add the green parts of the leeks, cook for a few minutes more to soften, scatter over the chopped parsley and serve with wholemeal bread and Caerphilly cheese..
- Top Tip: Cawl keeps very well in the fridge and also freezes well, and tastes better the following day..