3 cups Chicken (三杯鸡). The name three cup chicken (三杯鸡) comes from the three key ingredients in the recipe: Sesame oil. A true and authentic Taiwanese three cup chicken calls for basil leaves, the soul of the dish that lends an exotic aroma and minty nuance to the taste. Traditionally, three cup chicken is made with an entire chicken, carved-up, bone-in, and skin-on.
I've found a way to preserve this authentic flavor while using a simpler cut of chicken. 'Three Cup Chicken', a classic Taiwanese recipe which is a personal favourite and easy to cook after a long day at work. Originally, "three cup" refers to the equal usage of three main condiments: sesame oil, soy sauce and rice wine. Three cups chicken is originated from the province of Jiangxi in China. You can have 3 cups Chicken (三杯鸡) using 9 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of 3 cups Chicken (三杯鸡)
- It’s of Chicken legs (cut into pieces).
- It’s 4 tbsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 4 tbsp of shao xing wine (GF).
- You need 4 tbsp of soya sauce (GF).
- You need 10 slices of ginger (thinly sliced).
- You need 4 of gloves garlic (whole).
- You need 10 of basil leaves.
- It’s 2 of red chilies (sliced).
- It’s 2 tbsp of white sugar.
Legend has it that it was created by Wen Tianxiang who was a scholar-general in the last years of the Southern Song Dynasty. He created the chicken dish by using only a cup each of rice wine, lard, and soy sauce. Three Cups Chicken (San Bei Ji; 三杯鸡) is a popular chicken dish in Taiwanese cuisine. The name is catchy and fancy – in layman terms, it is basically chicken simmered in the trio combination of sesame oil, soy sauce and Chinese wine.
3 cups Chicken (三杯鸡) instructions
- In a large pot, add sesame oil and ginger in cook for another 10 mins..
- In another bowl, marinate chicken with soya sauce..
- Add garlic and white part of spring onion into the pot cook for about 2 mins..
- Reduce the heat and move the ingredients in the wok to the side. add chicken in..
- Leave the chicken and do not move them too much, let them settle and cook for about 3 mins. Flip them to cook on both sides..
- Increase the heat and mix all ingredients together..
- Add 2 tbsp soya sauce and chilies paste (optional)..
- Add 2 tbsp of shaoxing wine and 1 tbsp sugar..
- Add half cup of water in..
- Do not cover the lid and cook for 15 mins for the water to evaporate..
- Add green spring onion, cut chillies, and basil leaves in..
You May Also Like: Three Cups Mushrooms Recipe (Meatless. Three-cup chicken (San Bei Ji 三杯鸡) is original from Jiangxi province. Now it is famous in Taiwan. Three Cup Chicken or 'San Bei Ji' (三杯鸡) is of Taiwanese origins. You can use any dark meat, such as legs, wings, thighs or drumsticks.