Galbitang – Korean Beef Short Rib Soup. Beef short ribs are an expensive cut of meat, so this soup is considered a luxury among Korean soups and often served for special occasions such as Galbitang is fairly simple to make. However, you need to know a few tips to give the soup the nice, clean taste it's known for. Galbitang is usually serve with bowl of rice, kimchi and side of chopped green onion, salt and pepper.
The result is deep, rich savory tasting soup with tender beef ribs. Galbitang is delicious hearty Korean soup! My mom used to make galbitang for special occasions, because galbi, beef short rib is very expensive in Korea! You can have Galbitang – Korean Beef Short Rib Soup using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Galbitang – Korean Beef Short Rib Soup
- You need 500 g of beef short ribs, membranes removed.
- You need 1 of onion, cut into large chunks.
- You need 250 g of Korean radish, peeled (am not using it cos I can’t find it in my local asian shop).
- You need 3 of spring onions, white part.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves, peeled.
- You need 10 of whole black peppers.
- You need 10 cups of water.
- Prepare of Seasonings :.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of light soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- It’s 2 tsp of sea salt or more to taste.
- You need to taste of Ground black pepper.
In a serving bowl, place soften glass noodles if you prepared, and place sliced radishes. Galbitang, or Korean short rib soup, is a traditional, hearty meal fit for royalty. Because beef historically has been expensive in Korea (and often still is), galbitang was reserved for special occasions and it's now commonly served at traditional Korean wedding receptions. Galbitang (Korean Short Rib Soup) Instant Pot Version in Bowl.
Galbitang – Korean Beef Short Rib Soup instructions
- Soak the beef ribs in cold water for 20 mins. Change the water a few times during this time. This is to draw out the red liquid (which looks like blood) from the meat and also to rinse out any bone fragments..
- In a large pot of boiling water (enough fo fully cover the ribs), boil the ribs for 10 minutes over medium heat. Drain the water and rinse the ribs in cold water. Cut off any obvious excess fat from the ribs..
- Place them in a large clean pot. Add onions, spring onions, garlic, black peppers and water (10 cups) into the pot and bring them to boil over medium high heat, covered. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 1.5 hours..
- Gently take out the beef ribs from the broth and set them aside. Strain the remaining ingredients over another clean pot. Discard all the strained vegetables while keeping the broth. Remove the fat..
- Season the beef ribs with the seasoning ingredients and gently place them into the pot. Bring the pot to boil over medium high heat for about 10 minutes..
- Serve the soup with cooked rice and kimchi..
Korean Galbitang soup usually takes hours to boil on a regular stove top and I sometimes end up cooking too much because I get distracted and forget. Galbitang is a hearty Korean soup made with beef short ribs, Korean radish, and starchy noodles that's perfect for a comforting dinner. We made another slow-simmering beef soup last night called galbitang, which includes beef short ribs, Korean radish (mu), and glass noodles (dangmyun). If you want to add more Korean recipes to your collection, Galbi Tang (Korean Beef Short Ribs Soup) might be a recipe you should try. Galbitang is served as the main entree for a meal.