Thai beef salad (Nam tok – น้ำตกเนื้อ). Nam tok neua (น้ำตกเนื้อ) is very similar to Thai laab (ลาบ) – the minced meat Isaan salad – but instead of using minced meat, grilled steak is the main ingredient. In this recipe we're going to grill up some beef, slice it into thin pieces, mix it with lime juice, fish sauce, and chili flakes, and then of course, the. Thai Beef Salad, Nam Tok Recipe &… Also to make Nam Tok authentic, you definitely need to add toasted sticky rice power, which is super easy to make!
How it's really made in Thailand. At its core, you're grilling meat without marinade, then cutting, seasoning and tossing a salad. The beef should be balanced by salty and sour, with the nutty flavor of toasted rice and refreshing mint flavor on every bite. You can cook Thai beef salad (Nam tok – น้ำตกเนื้อ) using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Thai beef salad (Nam tok – น้ำตกเนื้อ)
- Prepare 1 pack of (contains two) good quality beef steak or 1 large – sirloin at room temperature.
- You need To taste of salt and pepper, for seasoning the steak.
- You need 1 of large red onion, thinly sliced.
- It’s 10 of red or mixed colour plum or cherry tomatoes, chopped in half.
- It’s 1/4 cup of mint leaves, roughly chopped.
- It’s Half of a cucumber, thinly sliced (optional).
- It’s of For the chilli sauce dressing:.
- You need 7-8 of fresh chillis, thinly sliced.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla).
- You need of Juice of 1 lemon or lime (depending on preference).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of palm sugar (add more or less depending on preference).
- You need 1/3 cup of water at room temperature (use more or less depending on preference).
- It’s of For garnish:.
- You need 1-2 tablespoons of white sesame seeds (not toasted).
- Prepare of For serving:.
- It’s 2 of baby gem lettuce, each of the leaves separated.
- Prepare 3-4 slices of lime/lemon wedges, for serving.
Thai chilies, finely chopped, to taste. Thai Beef Salad There is just something so addicting about Thai food for me. Grill or barbecue beef to your liking and thinly slice. Thai Beef Salad Recipe Nam Tok Neua funny.
Thai beef salad (Nam tok – น้ำตกเนื้อ) step by step
- Take the steak out the fridge, season with salt and pepper and let it come to room temperature. In the meantime peel the red onion and finely slice. Cut the tomatoes in half. Peel the cucumber, cut them in half and then into quarters. Then thinly slice the cucumber longways (optional). Place all of the chopped ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cover with cling film and set aside..
- Wash chillis and thinly slice. Transfer to a pestle and mortar, gently crush (to release the spiciness). Add fish sauce, lemon or lime juice, palm sugar and water to the mortar. Mix well and taste (adjust to taste, if too sweet add more fish sauce or if too salty, add more palm sugar). Taste should be the perfect balance of sweet, sour and hot. Transfer sauce to a bowl, cover with cling film and set aside. Wash the mortar, as it will be used later again, to crush the rice (if using)..
- On medium heat, add oil to a skillet or frying pan. Let it heat up. Add the steak to the pan and fry for a few minutes on both sides turning occasionally. Cook for about 7 minutes and remove from pan. Meat should be cooked medium rare to medium. Place on a wire rack to let the meat rest..
- In a small pan, place the uncooked rice and gently toast it on very low heat for a few minutes stirring occasionally until lightly golden brown. Turn off the heat as soon as the colour changes. You don't want toasted rice to look too dark and taste burnt. Place in mortar, set aside to let it cool. If not using rice then skip this step..
- Wash all of the baby gem lettuce and place in a colander. Drain all of the excess water. On a large plate or bowl, separate each of the baby gem lettuce leaves and set aside to be used later. Now crush the cooled down rice in the mortar and set aside..
- Transfer the rested steak meat onto a chopping board. Cut meat into half inch strips. Add meat to mixing bowl with chopped vegetables and mix together..
- Then add the chilli sauce dressing and mix well to coat all of the ingredients especially the meat, in order to soak in all of the flavours. At this stage, give it a sample taste to make sure the flavours are still balanced. Depending on if it is too sour or sweet, amend like in step 2..
- Add the mint leaves and incorporate well. Transfer the beef salad to a serving bowl and either place the baby gem lettuce behind the salad or onto a separate bowl or plate. Then add the toasted rice (if not using rice) or the sesame seeds now as garnish..
- Thai waterfall beef salad can be eaten and served with glutinous sticky rice on the side, or a bowl of steamed rice. I also like to eat it with a Thai omelette. This helps cut through the spiciness of the salad. Serve with lime or lemon wedges on the side..
The nam tok vendor would scoop the grilled beef, green onion and cilantro mixture out of a silver pot, and slide it into a clear, plastic bag and twist a rubber band around it so it Nam Tok is so full of flavor it seems hard to make, but it's so easy! Try making this Thai Steak Salad today in your own kitchen! Thai green papaya salad, green bean, tomato, fresh chili, peanut in tangy Thai-style sauce. A medium spice Yellow curry in coconut milk with beef, red onion, cilantro, lettuce, egg noodle, topped crispy egg noodle and dried shallot. Steak Salad for dinner? ; -) Nam Tok, Thai Beef Salad!!