Lemon Upside down cake.
You can cook Lemon Upside down cake using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lemon Upside down cake
- It’s of large sweet lemons (sliced thin).
- Prepare of butter (separated by 1:2 ratio).
- Prepare of brown sugar.
- Prepare of baking soda.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- It’s of salt to taste.
- Prepare of white sugar.
- Prepare of Zest of one lemon.
- You need of large eggs.
- It’s of cake flour.
- Prepare of cornstarch.
- It’s of buttermilk.
- It’s of vanilla extract.
Lemon Upside down cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 180°C and oil an 8'' round pan. Set aside.
- Cook 2 Tbsp butter and brown sugar over medium heat unlike the sugar melts and the mixture is syrupy. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and layer your lemon slices over it. Starting from the centre then moving outwards. Be as creative as you may, you can overlap the slices or place each slice separately.
- Cream white sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest and beat until fragrant and fully incorporated.
- Beat in the eggs until incorporated. One egg at a time, scraping bowl between each beating.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch until combined. Set aside..
- In a measuring cup, whisk buttermilk and vanilla extract. Set aside..
- Now to the butter mixture add a third of the flour mixture, mix just until incorporated. Add half the milk, mix again, then another third of the remaining flour. Continue this and always end with flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again but do not overmix!.
- Pour into the prepared pan, spread evenly and bake for 30-45 minutes or until it springs back when lightly pressed at the middle with your finger. If you're not too sure, feel free to do the schewer test and if it comes out with dry crumbles, your cake is ready.
- Release from pan immediately by irst running a knife around the sides and flipping the pan onto a serving plate. Can be enjoyed warm or cool..