Mae's Bread and Butter Pudding. This classic bread and butter pudding brings out all the right feelings of nostalgia. An old-fashioned English bread and butter pudding that goes easy on the wallet. Day-old bread works best in this recipe.
Bread and butter pudding is good by itself straight from the oven, or you can try a pouring of single or double cream. This bread and butter pudding is so delectable and delicious. The custard on the bottom of the pudding is soft and sweet and gelatinous. You can cook Mae's Bread and Butter Pudding using 11 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mae's Bread and Butter Pudding
- You need of thick sliced white bread, crusts removed.
- Prepare of butter for spreading.
- Prepare of dark chocolate – we used bournville dark orange chocolate to compliment the orange zest.
- You need of zest 1 orange (optional).
- It’s of large eggs and 1 extra large egg yolk.
- You need of caster sugar.
- It’s of double cream.
- It’s of sp vanilla extract.
- It’s of cinnamon.
- You need of milk – we used whole for a creamy custard but you could use semi.
- Prepare of light brown soft sugar.
For some, bread and butter pudding is the king of nursery desserts, for others it's the stuff of bad childhood memories. This is our classic bread and butter pudding recipe but here are some extra tips from GHI Cookery School Head Tutor, Cher Loh on how to up your pud game. Bread and Butter Pudding is classic British mommy food and one of the easiest puddings to make. Cover the base of the pie dish with overlapping triangles of half.
Mae's Bread and Butter Pudding step by step
- First, cut the crusts off the bread (save for breadcrumbs and freeze). Cut the slices in half (into triangles).
- Butter the bread on one side.
- FInely chop the chocolate into small chunks.
- Grease a baking dish with a little butter and start to layer the bread. After the first layer, sprinkle over half of the chocolate chunks..
- Layer the rest of the bread on top and sprinkle with the remaining the chocolate chunks.
- In a large jug, add the eggs and egg yolk, cream, sugar, vanilla, orange zest and cinnamon. Whisk with a fork or hand whisk until gently combined.
- Now add the milk and whisk again.
- Pour over the bread, making sure that all of it is covered..
- Leave the mixture to soak into the bread for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top evenly..
- Cook in a preheated oven on 180˚ c (160˚c fan oven) for 30 minutes..
- Remove from the oven and serve with icecream or a litle cream..
Bread and butter puddings one of those delicious, warm, wintery recipes that can put a smile on everyone's face. Bread pudding started life as the ideal way to use up stale bread and was simply steamed and enriched with a variety of mixtures (from meat to Alan Davidson admits in his definitive The Oxford Companion to Food, that bread and butter pudding "can also be made with something more exotic. Bread and Butter Pudding. by Tarla Dalal. Spread one side of each slice bread with butter. Layer bread slices, buttered sides up, in casserole; sprinkle with cinnamon.