Apple-Pecan Upside-Down Cake.
You can cook Apple-Pecan Upside-Down Cake using 14 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Apple-Pecan Upside-Down Cake
- Prepare of Pecans,.
- It’s of Unsalted Butter Softened,.
- Prepare of Red Apples Preferably Gala or Honeycrisp,.
- Prepare of Calvados or Any Apple Brandy,.
- It’s of Light Muscovado Sugar,.
- It’s of Unbleached All Purpose Flour,.
- It’s of Sea Salt,.
- Prepare of Baking Soda,.
- It’s of Baking Powder,.
- It’s of Nutmeg Freshly Grated,.
- Prepare of Cinnamon Powder,.
- You need of Demerara Sugar,.
- You need of Eggs,.
- Prepare of Greek Yogurt,.
Apple-Pecan Upside-Down Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius or 350 fahrenheit. In a skillet over medium heat, add pecans. Toast the pecans until aromatic. Remove from heat and transfer into a mortar..
- Using a pestle, pound the pecans into fine coarse bits. Transfer into a large bowl and set aside. In the same skillet, without any heat, add in 30g of butter. The butter will start to melt as you are preparing the apples..
- Peel and core the apples. *I didn't follow what Claire did. She used a melon baller to core out the seeds and stems. I, however, used an apple corer. You of cos, can choose whichever method as desired.* Slice the apples into halves. Place them immediately, cut side down on the skillet. *The apples will oxidize fast, especially on the cored and cut sides. Do it this way will slow down the oxidization.*.
- You may need 3 or 4 apples, depending on the size of your apples and skillet. Once all the apples are prepped, turn the heat up to medium. Cook until the bottom is golden brown. *You may have to rotate the skillet to allow even browning.*.
- Once bottom is golden brown, flip. Add in 2 TBSP of calvados and let it flambe. *Be very careful will doing this.* Once bottom is lightly browned, remove from heat and set side on a plate lined with kitchen paper or wire cooling rack, cut side up..
- Retain any leftover liquid in the skillet. With that same skillet over medium heat, add in 50g of light muscovado sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook until the sugar caramelized..
- Remove from heat and set aside. Add flour, salt, baking soda and powder into the same bowl as the pecans. Mix to combine well. Set aside..
- In another large bowl, add the remaining butter, light muscovado sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and demerara sugar. Cream butter until light and fluffy with a hand or stand mixer. Add in eggs and the remaining 1 TBSP of calvados..
- Continue whisking until well combine. Continue whisking, alternating between the pecan mixture and yogurt, 1/3 portion at a time, into the butter mixture until everything is fully incorporated. Lay the apples in the skillet with the cooled caramel, cut side down..
- Spoon the batter over the apples, making sure all the nooks and crannies in between each apples are filled with the batter. Smooth the top surface with an offset spatula. *If your cast iron skillet comes with non-metal handle, wrap the handle with aluminium foil.*.
- Wack into the oven and bake for 30 to 40 mins or until the top is evenly browned and the center springs back when gently pressed. Set aside to cool slightly, about 10 mins. Run along the edges with a sharp knife or an offset spatula..
- Place a larger serving plate over the skillet. Confidently, flip and unmold the cake. If there are any apples that are stuck on the skillet, remove and pop it back into the cake. If there is any leftover caramel that is also stuck on the skillet, add a splash of water and turn the heat up to medium..
- Swirl to dissolve the harden caramel. Pour the caramel over the cake. Slice and enjoy. The cake can be kept at room temperature, wrapped tightly with parchment paper, for up to 2 days..