Thai minced pork salad (larb moo ลาบหมู). Thai larb made with minced pork (larb moo ลาบหมู) is one of the most popular Thai streets foods in Isaan cuisine. It's a wonderful combination of minced Larb recipe. Fry the pork, breaking it into small minced pieces, until it's fully.
One Thai food group that is often overlooked by westerners is salad. Of course most of you are familiar with Som Tom, our delicious green Papaya Salad, but did you know that we have a delicious minced meat salad call. Inspired by my recent travels to Thailand, here is a recipe for the classic dish, larb, a sort of ground meat salad. You can cook Thai minced pork salad (larb moo ลาบหมู) using 16 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Thai minced pork salad (larb moo ลาบหมู)
- It’s of mince pork.
- It’s of vegetable oil (or any oil for cooking the mince pork).
- It’s of large red onion, thinly sliced.
- You need of red or mixed colour plum tomatoes, cut in half.
- You need of mint leaves, roughly chopped.
- Prepare of a cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced, (optional).
- You need of toasted rice or white sesame seeds, (not toasted) for garnish.
- You need of For the sauce:.
- You need of fresh chillis, thinly sliced.
- It’s of Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla).
- It’s of Juice of 1 lemon or lime (depending on preference).
- It’s of palm sugar (add more or less depending on preference).
- Prepare of water (room temperature).
- You need of For serving:.
- It’s of baby gem lettuce (each leaf separated).
- You need of lime or lemon wedges (for serving).
It's home to all sorts of bold, spicy food, one of which—larb, a sort of ground meat salad—is my standard order whenever I go to Thai restaurants. Larb (ลาบ) is a Thai salad, but it's not a vegetable salad, instead it's a meat salad. The minced pork is wonderfully seasoned with fish sauce, chili flakes, lime juice, toasted sticky rice to give it some crunchy texture, and a wonderful assortment of fresh herbs to bring it all together. Watch as Rose prepares and cooks the classic Thai Minced Pork Salad (Larb Moo).
Thai minced pork salad (larb moo ลาบหมู) step by step
- Peel the red onion and finely slice. Cut the tomatoes in half. Peel the cucumber (optional), cut them in half and then into quarters. Then thinly slice the cucumber longways. Place all of the chopped ingredients in a large mixing bowl, cover with cling film and set aside..
- On a medium heat, add the oil to the wok and wait for it to heat up. Add the ground mince pork and fry for a few minutes until it changes colour. Stir occasionally to prevent it from burning and sticking. Once the meat is cooked, turn off the heat and set aside to cool down..
- Thinly slice the chillis, place in a pestle & mortar, gently crush (this ensures that the spiciness of the chilli infuses with the rest of the ingredients). Add the fish sauce, lemon or lime juice, palm sugar and water to the mortar. Mix well together and taste (adjust to taste, if too sweet add more fish sauce or if too salty, add more palm sugar). Sauce should have balance of sweet, sour and hot. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Wash the mortar as it will be used later again for the rice..
- In a small pan, place the uncooked rice and gently toast it on very low heat for a few minutes. Stir occasionally until lightly golden brown. Turn off the heat as soon as the colour changes to avoid it tasting burnt. Place in mortar to let it cool down..
- Place washed baby gem lettuce in a colander and drain off all of the excess water. On a large plate or bowl, separate each of the baby gem lettuce leaves. Roughly crush the cooled down rice in the mortar and set aside..
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooled down mince pork to the chopped vegetables and mix together. Now add the sauce and mix well to coat all of the ingredients. At this stage, give it a sample taste to make sure the flavours are still balanced. Depending on if it is too sour or sweet, amend as in step 3..
- Add the toasted rice (if not using rice, add the sesame seeds) and stir. Finally, chop the mint leaves roughly and add to the mixing bowl. Give it a final good mix. Transfer the larb salad to large serving bowl and place the baby gem lettuce behind the salad or in a separate bowl..
- Serve with lime or lemon wedges. Larb salad is traditionally eaten with a glutinous sticky rice on the side, or alternatively a bowl of steamed rice..
Serve with Thai Sticky Rice + your favorite cold beer! A quick weeknight recipe for larb – a Thai salad made with minced meat, sliced onions, loads of fresh herbs and a generous squeeze of lime juice. Spicy minced pork salad on a white plate with lentils, kaffir lime leaves and spring onions. Thai/Laos style mince pork salad recipe Larb! Sometimes it spells Larb, Laab, Laap.