Cottage Pie. Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a type of savory pie. It is made with minced meat, with mashed potato on top. It comes from the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Cottage Pie – comfort food central! This English classic has a deeply savoury beef mince filling smothered in gravy topped with creamy. Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with James. You can cook Cottage Pie using 20 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- Prepare of For the mash.
- Prepare 2.5 Kg of Maris Piper potatoes.
- It’s 150 ml of double cream.
- You need 300 ml of milk.
- Prepare 3-4 knobs of butter.
- Prepare Pinch of salt.
- Prepare Pinch of pepper.
- Prepare Pinch of nutmeg.
- It’s of For the filling.
- Prepare 750 g of beef mince.
- Prepare 50 g of peas.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 of large knobs of salted butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of paprika.
- It’s of Sprinkle of chilli powder.
- Prepare of For the topping.
- Prepare 400 g of medium cheddar cheese, grated.
- You need of To serve.
- You need of Savoy cabbage.
- Prepare 600 ml of gravy.
Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie. It is a dish that originated around the time that As cottage pie became popular throughout Britain and potatoes became a staple crop in Ireland, the. Traditional cottage pie with a rich meaty sauce, topped with creamy mashed potato, crisped up to golden perfection. Check out my tip for ensuring also get a jug of delicious gravy to pour on top.
Cottage Pie step by step
- Peel the potatoes and put them in a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt, and boil. This should take about 30-40 minutes..
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the oil and butter to a saucepan on a medium/high heat, and once the oil starts sizzling – add the mince and break it all apart so all the meat in separated. Fry until browned and the liquid fat has been cooked off. Add the peas..
- To check the potatoes are cooked, try and pick one up by stabbing it with a knife. If it falls off the knife with ease, the potatoes are done. Drain and mash, gradually adding milk, butter and cream where necessary. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg… mash until there are no lumps..
- In a large oven dish, spread the mince filling across the bottom, until level. Repeat with the mash. Top with the cheese and bake in a preheated oven (150°C) until the cheese is golden brown. Serve immediately with gravy and savoy cabbage..
Proper English Cottage Pie is a delicious, very traditional mince pie (beef) topped with mashed potato. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. This classic cottage pie recipe is easy to make and would make the perfect family meal packed with minced beef, sweet tomatoes and topped with Watch how to make Quick and easy cottage pie. Cottage pie is a delicious variation of the classic shepherd's pie, and it's fairly simple to make at home! Use beef, rather than lamb, and fill your pie with sautéed onions, carrots, and celery.