Tom yum soup. Tom yum or tom yam is a type of hot and sour Thai soup, usually cooked with shrimp (prawn). Tom yum has its origin in Thailand. The words "tom yam" are derived from two Thai words.
In this Thai tom yum soup recipe (ต้มยำกุ้ง) you'll This recipe is for local Thai street food style tom yum soup – it's not the fancy kind – but follow this recipe for the authentic taste you'll find in Thailand. This truly authentic Tom Yum Soup Recipe is straight from our travels to Southeast Asia this summer. Often called Thai Hot and Sour Soup, it's bold and perky with a pop of spicy heat. You can have Tom yum soup using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tom yum soup
- You need 4-6 slices of ginger.
- Prepare 2 sticks of lemongrass (slices into 3).
- You need 2 of shallots, quartered.
- You need 6 of whole green chillies, bashed.
- It’s 4 of kaffir lime leaves, stalks discarded.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves – halved.
- You need 8 of mushrooms quartered.
- You need 8 of cherry tomatoes, halfed.
- Prepare 1 of veg stock pot in 800ml water (or fish stock if you have it).
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of fish sauce.
- You need 6 of coriander stalks and leaves.
- It’s 2 tbsp of chilli sauce or siracha sauce.
- It’s 2 of flat rice noodle nests.
- You need 12-14 of raw prawns.
- You need of Juice of 2 limes.
Serve tom yum soup as-is for a flavorful appetizer or with steamed white rice or sticky rice as a main dish. You can either place some rice in a bowl and serve the soup on top or serve the rice on the side. Tom Yum Soup contains sour and spicy flavors derived from traditional Thai and Laotian cooking. This soup can be found in every Thai restaurant, no matter how small or large, and is enjoyed by everyone, no matter how young or old.
Tom yum soup instructions
- Quickly fry off the ginger, lemongrass, shallots, chillis, kaffir lime leaves, chopped coriander stalks (reserve leaves for later) and garlic..
- Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes, then add the fish sauce, siracha, mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Check and season to taste..
- Add the noodles and prawns and simmer for 5 minutes more. Check the prawns and noodles are cooked through and remove from the heat..
- Squeeze in the juice of two limes. Serve and garnish with the coriander leaves..
Tom Yum Soup – Easy To Make Homemade Vegetarian Thai Soup Recipe By Ruchi Bharani. Tom Yum Soup – the BEST Thai Tom Yum Goong recipe you'll find online. Loaded with shrimp and mushroom, Tom Yum is spicy, sour, savory, and addictive! Classic tom yum soup with all the hot sour flavours you'd expect. Packed with herbs, spices and To serve, pour the soup into two bowls and top up with the hot stock.