Thai red curry with chicken. Thai Red Curry – everything we know and love about Thai food! Big, bold Thai flavours, beautifully fragrant, the creamy red curry sauce is so good you can put anything in it and it will be amazing! This Thai Red Curry Chicken achieves a wonderfully fresh citrus zing by playing up the fresh lime juice, bright lime zest and simmering the sauce with a bay leaf.
This Thai Red Chicken Curry is incredibly delicious, so easy to make with bite size chicken pieces, snow peas and simmered in a red curry and coconut milk sauce. This Thai red curry recipe is so easy to make at home! It's much tastier than takeout and healthier, too. You can have Thai red curry with chicken using 18 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Thai red curry with chicken
- You need of coconut oil, or butter, or other preferred oil.
- You need of red curry paste.
- You need of minced garlic.
- Prepare of minced fresh ginger, or 1 tsp ground ginger.
- It’s of chicken breasts, diced.
- It’s of coconut milk.
- It’s of chicken bouillon + 1 cup water, or 1 cup chicken broth.
- You need of green, red, yellow, orange bell peppers, cut into strips.
- Prepare of onion, cut into strips.
- It’s of bamboo shoots (8 oz).
- You need of optional: any other vegetables you would like to add, i.e. eggplant, squash, snap peas, tomatoes, potatoes, etc..
- You need of bay leaf.
- Prepare of lime, juiced and zested.
- You need of fish sauce.
- Prepare of soy sauce.
- Prepare of Palm, coconut, or brown sugar (ordered in preference).
- You need of molasses (if using white sugar).
- Prepare of fresh Thai basil leaves, roughly chopped.
This Thai red curry made a fantastic meal last night and perhaps an even better breakfast this I added the chicken in a step before adding the red peppers (I cooked the shallot and green. If you're a fan of Thai food, making Thai Red Curry from scratch at least once in your life is a must! This is a quick and easy curry stir-fry made with chicken, zucchini, red bell pepper and carrot. Heat canola oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Thai red curry with chicken step by step
- Heat oil in large pot until shimmering; fry curry paste (start with 3 T, add more later for more flavor/spice if desired) for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add minced garlic to paste; fry 30 seconds.
- Add minced (or ground) ginger and fry 30 more seconds.
- Spoon about a quarter cup of thick coconut cream from top of one of the cans to the paste mixture; heat for about a minute.
- Salt and pepper diced chicken, and add to paste and cream mixture; cook on med high heat until outside of chicken is browned/cooked, but pieces are not cooked all the way through.
- Add the rest of both cans coconut milk, chicken bouillon and water/broth, and all the veggies (peppers, onion, bamboo shoots, anything else you would like to add).
- Add the rest of the seasoning ingredients (bay leaf, lime juice and zest, fish sauce, soy sauce, sweetener), except Thai basil if using. Let sauce warm through and taste. Adjust according to preference.
- Add sweetener to sweeten, fish sauce and/or soy sauce if bland (do not add regular salt, or it will just be 'salty bland'), lime juice if too salty, curry paste if too 'coconuty' or if you want more kick.
- Once it tastes right to you, bring to a boil, then turn heat to med low and simmer till chicken is fully cooked, veggies are tender-crisp, and flavors have melded together, about 10 minutes (check sooner to avoid the chance of mushy vegetables).
- If using, add Thai basil and let simmer another couple minutes. Serve hot over rice, or rice noodles, or enjoy as a soup (add chicken broth to desired consistency if you think it's too creamy).
Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken, shallots and garlic to the stockpot and cook until. This fast and satisfying Thai curry gets its flavor from easy-to-find grocery store ingredients. Add the rest of the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Thai Red Curry Chicken with sweet and tender kabocha squash.