Sig's German Oven Potato Cake.
You can cook Sig's German Oven Potato Cake using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sig's German Oven Potato Cake
- You need of good flavourful mashing potato, of choice.
- You need of salt or salt substitute.
- Prepare of ground black pepper.
- You need of ground nutmeg.
- You need of plain flour.
- Prepare of butter for greasing of spring form 26cm diameter.
- It’s of bacon of choice (I use vegetarian for myself).
- You need of small onions or large shallots.
- Prepare of butter or margarine.
- It’s of gouda and/or edam cheese, or you can use any other cheese that melts well.
- Prepare of sour cream.
- It’s of small eggs.
Sig's German Oven Potato Cake instructions
- Preheat the oven to 200C°.
- Boil potatoes in skin in salted water for 20 minutes. Pour away the boiling water.Rinse under cold water and cool slightly. Carefully peel the potatoes..
- Leave the potatoes to cool further, then break them down into a mash, without adding anything.I use a potato ricer ot a blender for this..
- Mix the flour with the mashed up potatoes and make this into a dough of sorts. Season it with salt, pepper and nutmeg..
- Grease a 26 cm diameter spring form with the tablesppon of butter Then press the dough into the form creating a good edge..
- Keep a slice of bacon for each person aside, chop up the rest.Chop the onions finely. Saute both, then drain them on kitchen towel and sprinkle over the base of the potato in the spring form on the rest of butter..
- Grate or chop up the cheese of choice, you can use more than one variety..Mix with eggs and soured cream. I use a blender for this..
- Pour the cheese mixture over the bacon and onion pieces.
- Put the cake into your preheated oven. Bake in oven at 200 C° gas 3 for about 50 to 60 minutes, When it gets towards the end of cooking time cover the potato cake with foil so that it does not go to brown..
- Fry the rest of the bacon garnish the top of the cake with it to your liking. Serve hot or at room temperature, on its own or next to grilled lamb or other meats and salad.